Donald Trump kicks Univision's Jorge Ramos out of press event | EW.com

News

Donald Trump kicks Univision anchor Jorge Ramos out of press event

(CNN)

At a press event in Iowa on Tuesday, Donald Trump had Univision journalist Jorge Ramos escorted out of the room after the anchor, who was not called on to speak, asked Trump questions about his immigration policies.

In a video from the event, Ramos is heard trying to ask a question about deportation before the GOP presidential candidate cuts him off.

“Excuse, me. Sit down. You weren’t called. Sit down. Sit down,” Trump said.

“I have the right to ask a question,” Ramos said, to which Trump responded quickly: “No you don’t. You haven’t been called… Go back to Univision.”

Ramos was escorted out of the room by security, but was allowed back in shortly after.

“Good to have you back,” Trump told Ramos when he reentered the room. Ramos then asked Trump specifics about his deportation policies, including his plans for a border, and insisted “you cannot deny citizenship to children born in this country.”

“How are you going to deport 11 million?” Ramos asked, referring to the number of illegal immigrants he plans to deport. 

“Very humanely, believe me,” Trump replied. “I have a bigger heart than you do.”

After Ramos was ejected, Univision released a statement on the incident. “We’d love for Mr. Trump to sit down for an in-depth interview with Jorge to talk about the specifics of his proposals,” said Isaac Lee, Fusion CEO and president of news for Univision.

The Noticiero Univision anchor, who also hosts Al Punto and the English-language show America with Jorge Ramos on Fusion, spoke to CNN Monday night about Trump’s immigration policies, calling it “absurd” and saying Trump’s views are “spreading hate.”

It wasn’t the first time Ramos has spoken out against Trump’s views on immigration. “Right now Donald Trump is, no question, the loudest voice of intolerance, hatred and devision in the United States,” he said on America with Jorge Ramos last week.

Back in June, Trump filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision after the Spanish-language network dropped its coverage of the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants. Univision announced that it would not air the pageants, which are partially owned by Trump, due to derogatory comments he made about immigrants when he was announcing his candidacy for president in June.

Image Credit: CNN

Related Stories
Donald Trump dumped by Univision over immigration comments
Donald Trump is suing Univision

WANT MORE EW? Subscribe now to keep up with the latest in movies, television and music.

This post has been updated throughout.