ChinaFotoPress/Getty Images
Jessica Derschowitz
September 29, 2015 AT 09:09 PM EDT

Dwayne Johnson had a sad update for his fans on Tuesday about one of his recently adopted puppies.

The actor shared a photo on Instagram breaking the news that Brutus, one of the two French bulldogs he brought home just a few weeks ago, had to be put to sleep after eating poisonous mushrooms.

“Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed,” he wrote, sharing a photo of him holding the pup. “At approximately 11:15 p.m. last night myself and [girlfriend Lauren Hashian] had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace … We’ll always love you Brutus.. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute.”

Johnson had previously saved Brutus from drowning after the dog jumped into the actor’s pool. “He was a little delirious,” Johnson wrote earlier this month after rescuing the dog. “[He] took a moment, threw up all the water he swallowed and looked up at me as if to say, ‘Thank God you didn’t have to give me mouth to mouth!’ and then ran off to play with his brother [Hobbs].”

You can see Johnson’s full tribute (and a warning abut toxic mushrooms for fellow animal owners) below. 

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST