Michael Kovac/Getty Images
Jessica Derschowitz
November 16, 2015 AT 01:48 PM EST

Ridley Scott revealed in September that the sequel to his sorta-Alien-prequel Prometheus would be titled Alien: Paradise Lost. It appears that title has now gotten a revamp.

Speaking at the AFI FEST over the weekend, the director casually mentioned that the film is now called Alien: Covenant.

According to Indiewire, Scott dropped the update while telling a story about how he came to direct The Martian.

He said, “I was going to be doing what will be called Alien: Covenant, which starts shooting next February, and we were struggling then with the screenplay there and then there was a phone call, somebody saying, ‘Listen, we’ve got this thing which is completely written called Martian, and I said, ‘Huh.’ And I sped read it in an hour and by mid-afternoon, I talked to Fox and said, ‘I need to talk to ‘Drew [Goddard]…’” 

Alien: Covenant (unless the name gets changed again) is slated for a 2017 release. Scott said in September that he envisions the film as “backing into the first Alien,” adding, “I’ve even got connections with Ripley [in this], but I’m not telling you what.”

Neill Blomkamp has also been tapped to helm another Alien film, but he said last month that project is on hold pending Scott’s Prometheus follow-up.

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST