Star Wars: The Force Awakens: George Lucas has seen the film, Lucasfilm president says |

Movies | Star Wars Galaxy

George Lucas 'really liked' Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says

(Taylor Hill/FilmMagic)

George Lucas wasn’t involved in making Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but he still was among the first people in the world to see the J.J. Abrams-directed film — and, apparently, he’s a fan.

After Lucas told The Washington Post earlier this week that he hadn’t seen the film, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told The Hollywood Reporter that he has and “really liked it.” She said he is also scheduled to attend the Los Angeles and London premieres of The Force Awakens this month.

Keep up with all the latest Star Wars news by subscribing to our newsletter. Head here for more details.

Last month, Lucas gave an interview to CBS News in which he likened his retirement from Star Wars to a breakup, noting that he came up with ideas for a new trilogy but “they decided they didn’t want to use those stories.”

“They decided they were gonna go do their own thing,” he added. “They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway. But at the same time, I said if I get in there I’m just going to cause trouble. Because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore. All I would do is muck everything up. So I said, ‘Okay, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.’”

Lucas now joins an elite group of people who have seen The Force Awakens, which includes Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega.

RELATED: J.J. Abrams on Leia’s Force Awakens transformation


Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be out in theaters on Dec. 18.