The last time we saw Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger) at the end of The Edge of Reason in 2004, the wanton sex goddess was engaged to Mark Darcy (Colin Firth) and was well on her way to a happily ever after.
But a lot can change in a decade, it seems.
In Bridget Jones’s Baby (out Sept. 16, 2016), Zellweger’s alter-ego is now 43, still single, and in a bit of a pickle: she’s pregnant and is not sure who’s the father. Is it her on-and-off again beau with the bad sweaters or a hot new billionaire named Jack Qwant (Patrick Dempsey) who is way more of a threat to Mark than Daniel Cleaver (Hugh Grant) ever was?
“This is part of the new challenge, discovering where she is now in her new life,” Zellweger tells EW. “But as an actress, it feels like stepping back with an old friend. I love this character, I like that she tells stories about what it’s like to be a woman and these really relatable situations at certain times in life. It’s so right to tell a story about Bridget in this stage of her life.”
In this week’s issue of Entertainment Weekly, we present exclusive interviews with Zellweger, Firth and Dempsey about Baby, plus some fascinating new details about the third installment of the Bridget Jones franchise, all of which were inspired by Helen Fielding’s bestselling books. Among the revelations:
- Was the movie based on Fielding’s third Bridget Jones novel, Mad About the Boy?
- Who came back to reprise their roles from the first and second novels?
- Holy low-carb diet! Whose idea was it to have Zellweger’s Bridget look so lithesome?
- Why does Dempsey seem so happy to be off Grey’s Anatomy?
- Why do Zellweger, Firth, and Dempsey talk like they don’t know how the movie is going to end?
To continue reading more about Bridget Jones’s Baby, and to see our exclusive photo shoot with the film’s stars, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, on newsstands now, or buy it here.