Taylor Swift: Kesha donation is $250,000 | EW.com

Music

Taylor Swift donates $250,000 to Kesha

(James Devaney/GC Images; Dan MacMedan/WireImage)

Taylor Swift was not among the celebrities who tweeted support for Kesha after a judge denied her request for a preliminary injunction in her case against Dr. Luke, but Swift did participate in the Free Kesha movement. As first revealed by Kesha’s mother, Pebe Sebert, and confirmed by Swift’s representatives, the 1989 singer has given Kesha $250,000 in monetary support.

“In a show of support, Taylor Swift has donated $250,000 to Kesha to help with any of her financial needs during this trying time,” Swift’s reps said in a statement released to EW on Sunday night. Earlier in the evening, Sebert posted the news and called Swift’s donation “amazing.”

“A person’s wealth is not measured by what they have but by WHO they they help with it. And Taylor Swift is is a truly RICH PERSON,” Sebert wrote on Twitter. “Most important for Kesha, is that these beautiful, powerful women are standing behind her, letting the world see how powerful the truth is!”

RELATED: 25 Stars Who Joined the #FreeKesha Movement

After Friday’s ruling, numerous celebrities – including Lady Gaga, Demi Lovato, Lorde, Fiona Apple, Kelly Clarkson, and more – tweeted support for Kesha. The “Tik Tok” singer had previously accused Dr. Luke (whose real name is Lukasz Gottwald) of “sexual and drug related” assault, and requested release from her contract with Dr. Luke’s Kemosabe Records (which is owned by Sony).

“Dr. Luke has been tyrannical and abusive since our relationship began,” Kesha said in a August 2015 affidavit. In that statement, Kesha added, “I specifically remember him telling me that if I ever tried to get away from him for any reason that he would tie me up in litigation until my career was over.”

RELATED: The Biggest Celebrity Feuds of 2015

Dr. Luke has denied those claims, and Kemosabe has countered by saying Kesha would be able to record for the label without Dr. Luke present during the sessions.

“We are pleased with the court’s decision from the bench fully denying Ms. Sebert’s motion for a preliminary injunction,” Dr. Luke attorney Christine Lepera said in a statement on Friday. “As the court recognized, Ms. Sebert has always had the ability to proceed with her career if she so chooses. We remain confident that when all the facts are presented that Ms. Sebert’s allegations against Luke will be shown to be completely false and were asserted solely to extort money and gain contractual leverage.”

Read tweets from Sebert below.