The BFG stomps into theaters this weekend, and the arrival of Steven Spielberg’s adaptation has sparked plenty of nostalgia for Roald Dahl’s original children’s book. Adults and kids alike cherish the tale of young Sophie and her Big Friendly Giant friend and the magic story featuring dream catching, nightmares, the Queen of England, and of course giants, has been transfixing families since 1982.
In celebration of the film’s release, Amazon Kindle compiled a list of the top most highlighted quotes from the iconic book. Readers clearly love Dahl’s penchant for mystical description and larger than life characters. Check out the full list below.
- “The witching hour, somebody had once whispered to her, was a special moment in the middle of the night when every child and every grown-up was in a deep deep sleep, and all the dark things came out from hiding and had the world to themselves.”
- “The Giant ran on and on. But now a curious change took place in his way of running.”
- “Sophie watched with astonishment. What a strange and moody creature this is, she thought. One moment he is telling me my head is full of squashed flies and the next moment his heart is melting for me because Mrs Clonkers locks us in the cellar.”
- “The mountain was dark blue and all around it the sky was gushing and glistening with light.”
- “The BFG flung open a massive cupboard and took out the weirdest-looking thing Sophie had ever seen. It was about half as long again as an ordinary man but was much thicker. It was as thick around its girth as a perambulator. It was black with white stripes along its length. And it was covered all over with coarse knobbles.”
- “She reached out for her glasses that lay on the chair beside her bed. They had steel rims and very thick lenses, and she could hardly see a thing without them.”
- “Directly in front of them, lying against the side of the mountain, Sophie could see a massive round stone.”
- “The sun was up now and shining fiery-hot over the great yellow wasteland with its blue rocks and dead trees.”
- “He is getting ready to eat me, she told herself. He will probably eat me raw, just as I am.”
- “Human beans is the only animals that is killing their own kind.”