Lacey Terrell
James Hibberd
July 30, 2016 AT 04:52 PM EDT

True Detective isn’t dead yet.

New HBO programming chief Casey Bloys says the pop culture phenomenon-turned-critical punching bag is still being considered for another round — though Bloys hinted showrunner Nic Pizzolatto could move to a supervisory role with somebody else taking the lead on the show’s writing.

Bloys, talking to reporters at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Saturday, was asked about the show’s fate.

“It is not dead,” Bloys said. “I talked to Nic about it and both Nic and HBO are open to another season. I don’t think Nic has a take and he’s working on some other projects. We’re open to somebody else writing it and Nic supervising it. It’s a valuable franchise, it’s not dead, we just don’t have a take for a third season yet.”

The anthology series premiered two years ago with a stand-alone storyline that won rave reviews and award nominations and became a pop culture sensation. But last year’s second season critically face-planted (while still performing decently in the ratings), putting the show’s fate in limbo.

Bloys was also asked about the fate of mega-hit Game of Thrones and confirmed season 8 is expected to be the show’s last.

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST