Donald Trump’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star has been destroyed.
Early Wednesday morning, the Republican presidential candidate’s sidewalk tribute was vandalized, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed to EW. Police say there are no suspects in custody and the investigation is still ongoing, but Deadline has exclusive video of the vandalism, showing a man dressed as a construction worker repeatedly hammering the star with a pickax until only ruins are left.
According to Deadline, the man identified himself as “Jamie Otis” and said he was trying to extract the star and sell it off to raise funds for women accusing Trump of sexual assault. After a 2005 tape leaked of Trump bragging to then-Access Hollywood host Billy Bush that fame allowed him to “do anything” to women, including grabbing them “by the p—y,” multiple women have come forward with sexual assault allegations against the candidate. Trump has denied the claims and promised to sue his accusers after the election.
Trump’s star was dedicated in 2007 in recognition of his work on NBC’s The Apprentice. The star has been defaced during the presidential election previously, with one artist building a tiny wall around it on the street (a reference to Trump’s plans to build a border wall between the United States and Mexico if he were elected president).
— Deadline Hollywood (@Deadline) October 26, 2016
The star will be repaired immediately, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce confirms to EW.
“The Hollywood Walk of Fame is an institution celebrating the positive contributions of the inductees,” Leron Gubler, president and CEO of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, said in a statement. “When people are unhappy with one of our honorees, we would hope that they would project their anger in more positive ways than to vandalize a California State landmark. Our democracy is based on respect for the law. People can make a difference by voting and not destroying public property.”