In her new novel, a prequel to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, the Lunar Chronicles author explores the Queen of Heart’s early life: What, exactly, made her so murderous? In Meyer’s reimagining, teenager Lady Catherine Pinkerton—the best baker in all of Hearts—is the kind of girl who’d rather whip lemons into tarts than marry a king. But her life is upended when she falls in love with Jest, a mysterious joker who harbors dangerous secrets. Through wild tea parties with the not-yet-Mad Hatter and terrifying trips through the looking glass, Meyer evokes the best whimsies from Lewis Carroll’s classic while giving the Queen of Hearts a backstory that may soften her most fearful haters.
Posted November 11 2016 — 8:00 AM EST
- Candace Cameron Bure is leaving 'The View'
- T-Pain haunts Smosh in 'Ghostmates' trailer — exclusive
- 'Rogue One' star Riz Ahmed raps about 'Star Wars' on 'Tonight Show'
- 'Vampire Diaries' sneak peek: Cade visits Stefan in mid-season finale
- Yoko Ono pays tribute to John Lennon on anniversary of his death
- 'Hairspray Live!': Anna Kendrick, Andy Cohen, and more praise musical
- Young and old combine in new superhero line 'All Time Comics'
- Finding 'La La Land': Director Damien Chazelle's 15 influences For His New Musical Romance
- 38 Photos of Ian Somerhalder For His 38th Birthday
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21: Meet Nick's 30 Bachelorettes
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk