Note to New Line: Don't take Jason Voorhees' hockey mask off the shelf just yet. Last week, according to the Hollywood Reporter, the studio was said to be in talks with Quentin Tarantino to write and direct The Ultimate Jason Voorhees Movie, which would mark the 12th installment of the Friday the 13th franchise, as well as the director's first job for a studio other than Miramax. But the report was premature, Tarantino said over the weekend. The Kill Bill filmmaker was in London to accept the Icon of the Decade award from Empire, the British movie magazine, and he told Empire that, while New Line had spoken to him about a Jason movie, he was not planning to make one.
''What’s happening with Friday The 13th? Nothing at all! It’s a complete lie,'' he told Empire, whose awards were chosen by a poll of 12,000 readers. ''I like Jason and everything, but I’ve no intention of directing a movie! New Line talked to me about it, but it was a complete fabrication, that article. I would love to do a horror film. I’m just saying it’s not going to be Friday the 13th.''
Tarantino said his next project would probably be his long-gestating World War II drama Inglorious Bastards, though he said he had yet to compile the scenes he's written into a shooting script. ''I hope to give you at least 15 more years of movies,'' said the 41-year-old, who added that he would then quit filmmaking and Hollywood altogether. ''I'm not going to be this old guy that keeps cranking them out. My plan is to have a theater by that time in some small town and I will be the manager this crazy old movie guy,'' the former video store clerk said. ''I've made enough money that nobody even needs to show up at the theater. It's just having something to do.''