Indiana Jones may not be the only '80s action hero coming out of mothballs. Sylvester Stallone says he has a new deal to shoot a fourth film about Vietnam vet-turned-commando John Rambo, his first since 1988's Rambo III. Nu Image/Millennium Films, the production company that announced last week it would produce an Edgar Allan Poe biopic to be written and directed by Stallone, announced on Sunday that it had purchased the Rambo franchise rights from Miramax/Dimension Films and was planning a shoot on locations in Bulgaria, India, and the U.S. starting in January 2006, after Stallone shoots Poe this fall. In his own statement, Stallone said, ''I've signed the deal and I have the old headband, machine gun and bow and arrow ready to go. I am looking forward to showing movie fans the real action hero again.''
Though there are plenty of opportunities for combat action these days in Afghanistan (where Rambo III took place), Rambo IV will take place at home in America. In this installment, John Rambo has been living a domestic life with a wife and a 10-year-old daughter, but when he moves to the countryside, white supremacists object to the presence of their new part-Navajo neighbor and kidnap his daughter, forcing the former Green Beret to mount a rescue operation. The film will pair the 58-year-old star with an as-yet-unnamed younger actor. ''It's a franchise,'' explains Nu Image/Millennium chief Avi Lerner in his studio's statement. ''If No. 4 works, then you have a No. 5.'' Does that mean we should anticipate Son of Rambo? Or how about Stop or My Dad Will Shoot?