How many actresses can pull off smart satire and carry a tune? Save Dame Edna, we can think of very few. Which is why Mandy Moore was tapped to star alongside Hugh Grant in American Dreamz (out April 21), Paul Weitz's spoof of world politics and American Idol. Not that the filmmakers were hip to Moore's magic right from the start. ''I had to sell them on casting me,'' she says. Them, maybe, but not us. Moore was EW's first choice for this, our new, admittedly silly, yet extremely revealing celebrity questionnaire. Of course, there are no wrong answers, though chamomile tea (see No. 8) comes close.
Name Mandy Moore
1. In high school I was: Absent. Halfway through my freshman year I signed a record deal.
2. My American Idol audition song would be:
A ''I'm Every Woman''
B ''Friends in Low Places''
C ''On the Wings of Love''
D ''Wanted Dead or Alive''
E Other (please specify): ''I Feel the Earth Move.'' Something by Carole King or Joni Mitchell.
3. Choose one:
4. If I had to gain 30 pounds for a role, I would eat:
Lots of cupcakes—from Billy's Bakery in New York.
5. The Breakfast Club character I most identify with:
A Allison Reynolds*
B John Bender
C Andy Clark
D Claire Standish*
D Brian Ralph Johnson
*I would say a combo of Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald.
6. Do you have any tattoos? Piercings? What (and where) are they?
My ears are pierced, and I have the outline of a heart on my second toe on the right side.
7. The first famous person I befriended:
I was 15 and went on the road with 'N Sync. Those were the first famous people I met. I was a Justin gal. I'm not going to lie.
8. After I've had a long day, I like to kick back with:
A A dry martini
B A glass of pinot noir
C Cold beer
D Chamomile tea*
*I'm a loser not a big drinker.
9. The first R-rated movie I saw:
10. The person I'm most often mistaken for:
Jessica Simpson. Three years ago I was auditioning for a movie, and the casting director kept calling me Jessica. I was like, ''I'm Mandy.'' And then a minute later it would be like, ''Jessica....'' I was like, ''I'm 5'10'' and have brown hair!''
11. The most underrated perfomer in my field:
Judy Greer [Moore's costar in American Dreamz, Greer has also appeared in The Village, 13 Going on 30, and TV's Love Monkey.]
12. My porn name is:
Otis + Longview = Otis Longview
(Childhood Pet + Street You Grew Up On)