News Article

Innocent Man

Celine Dion's husband cleared in rape case. No charges will be brought against Rene Angelil

Celine Dion's husband will not face rape charges, Las Vegas police have decided. Police closed an investigation into sexual assault allegations against Rene Angelil, who is also Dion's manager, according to the Associated Press. ''There is no evidence to prove or disprove the allegations,'' a police spokesperson told AP.

But Yun Kwon, the woman who accused Angelil of raping her, faces charges of her own. Both she and her husband were arrested last week and charged with attempting to extort $13.5 million from Angelil, according to published reports. Kwon had also filed a civil lawsuit alleging that Angelil raped her in a Las Vegas hotel.

David Chesnoff, Angelil's lawyer, told the Associated Press that he was pleased that police had closed the case. ''We believe Mr. Angelil has been vindicated,'' he said. Dion, meanwhile, is set to begin a three-year stand at Vegas' Caesars' Palace in March.

Originally posted Jan 24, 2003