Movie Article

Back to 'Basic'

Sharon Stone says ''Basic Instinct 2'' is back on. She says she's dropped her breach of contract suit against the producers of the so-far stalled sequel

Sharon Stone | STONE COLD Sharon says ''Basic 2'' is back on
Image credit: Sharon Stone: Tammie Arroyo/AP
STONE COLD Sharon says ''Basic 2'' is back on

Is it time for Sharon Stone to take her icepick out of the freezer? The actress says that ''Basic Instinct 2'' is back on track, now that she's settled her breach of contract suit against the producers of a prospective sequel that fell apart three years ago. ''Supposedly we are now back in the process of making 'Basic Instinct 2,''' she told E! on Friday. ''You never, ever know, but it would be fun.''

Promoting her villainous role opposite Halle Berry in this month's ''Catwoman,'' Stone told the Melbourne Herald Sun that she had settled her pending lawsuit against producers Mario Kassar and Andrew Vajna. Filed after MGM dropped plans for ''Basic Instinct 2'' in 2001, Stone's suit claimed that she had a deal that required Kassar and Vajna to pay her $14 million, whether or not the movie ever got made, and that she had lost other work while waiting for the sequel to her 1992 hit to come together. The producers had said that there was no binding contract. It's not clear what the terms of the settlement were, but it averts a courtroom confrontation that had been scheduled for this month.

It also clears the way for Stone to uncross her legs again in the sequel. ''I'm like, 'Does anybody want to pay $12 to see me naked?''' the 46-year-old told the Herald Sun. ''I'm like, 'I guess it's OK.''' In place of Michael Douglas, she said, the script called for a younger lover for Stone's killer author Catherine Tramell. (In 2001, Benjamin Bratt had been eyed as Stone's leading man.) ''Somebody should be younger,'' she said.

Originally posted Jul 12, 2004
Advertisement

From Our Partners