10 Things EW loves: Week of October 1, 2004
1. SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
A new world order of popcorn films begins now, and director Kerry Conran is our fearless leader.
With Alias missing from the fall lineup, get your J.J. Abrams fix with ABC's Wednesday-night desert-island drama that's more Golding than Gilligan.
3. ''I WANT YOU AROUND,'' the Ramones
We'll always remember Johnny Ramone playing guitar on this love-bomb serenade in 1979's Rock 'N' Roll High School. Rest in peace, Mr. Ramone.
4. YOUHAVEBADTASTEIN MUSIC.COM
Watch a manic street preacher on a quixotic mission to save pop culture one Train concert at a time.
5. CAROLYN in 'The Apprentice'
The ML firmly believes there's a pretty cool gal behind the cold killer's icy exterior. Just don't mispronounce her name.
6. MOL-VANÎA, by Santo Cilauro, Tom Gleisner, and Rob Sitch
The faux travel guide takes adventurers off the beaten path to places where they'll be beaten. Pack your bags and let's go to warlord country.
7. WATTSTAX Mel Stuart's legendary documentary of the 1972 music festival known as the Black Woodstock finds the love on a new DVD. Can ya dig it?
8. THE EGYPTOLOGIST, by Arthur Phillips
Erotic hieroglyphics, a nosy Aussie investigator, and a shocking end make this one of the year's best.
9. MORE ADVENTUROUS, Rilo Kiley
Jenny Lewis & Co. may add a li'l sour to their winning mix of alt-country and indie pop, but have no fear, shy guys and gals, they still spoon the sugar.
10. LA DOLCE VITA
Federico Fellini's dazzling visual dance of urbane decadence and soulless sophistication finally makes it to DVD in this two-disc set. Sweet!