''This is absolutely the most suspicious case I've ever heard.'' That's what Memphis' Judge Anthony Johnson said at a preliminary hearing on Wednesday as he dismissed rape charges against actor Anthony Anderson and assistant director Wayne Witherspoon, according to the Associated Press. After hearing the testimony of the alleged victim, an aspiring extra who accused the Kangaroo Jack star and his colleague of raping her on a local movie set, Judge Johnson ruled that there was no probable cause to try the case.
The 25-year-old woman had reported earlier this summer an alleged incident in which she claimed that Anderson and Witherspoon had sexually assaulted her in a trailer on the Memphis set of the upcoming movie Hustle & Flow. In court, she testified that the two men had forced her to have sex with them several times in the days before the sole alleged encounter that she reported to police. After the dismissal, a state prosecutor's office spokesperson told AP that no decision had been made on whether to continue to pursue the case.
Anderson and Witherspoon did not comment on the ruling, but Anderson spokesman Allan Mayer told Reuters, ''He is, of course, both relieved and delighted by the judge's decision to throw out what was so obviously a trumped-up case.'' According to AP, Mayer added, ''That said, this has been a terrible ordeal for him and his family, and he is eager to put it behind him and move on with his life and career.''