Slide 1 of 10
10. The Conjuring
Digging my fingernails into my armrest while Lili Taylor played hide-and-seek with her daughters in The Conjuring was one of the most delirious experiences I had at the movies this year. The white-knuckle chiller about a husband-and-wife team of ghost hunters investigating a creepy old house in Rhode Island won’t win points for originality (there’s the usual smorgasbord of fetid stenches, creaky doors, and visions of dead people), but director James Wan ratchets up those bump-in-the-night clichés with crackerjack craftsmanship, tightening the vise on the audience’s frayed and frazzled nerves.
Image Credit: Warner Bros
December 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!