Slide 1 of 10
10. The Conjuring
Digging my fingernails into my armrest while Lili Taylor played hide-and-seek with her daughters in The Conjuring was one of the most delirious experiences I had at the movies this year. The white-knuckle chiller about a husband-and-wife team of ghost hunters investigating a creepy old house in Rhode Island won’t win points for originality (there’s the usual smorgasbord of fetid stenches, creaky doors, and visions of dead people), but director James Wan ratchets up those bump-in-the-night clichés with crackerjack craftsmanship, tightening the vise on the audience’s frayed and frazzled nerves.
Image Credit: Warner Bros
December 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...