Slide 1 of 10
10. Inside Llewyn Davis
The Coen brothers’ tale of a struggling folk musician in the Greenwich Village of 1961 nails the period with such extraordinary vividness that it’s a shock to realize the film’s authenticity is threaded with Coen-esque snark. Llewyn Davis (Oscar Isaac) is a gifted singer, but he’s also a morose, sad-sack jerk, with no idea that the folk scene he’s trying to succeed in has already passed him by. The Coens spin their own special brand of nostalgia shorn of romance, and if the result teeters on the misanthropic, the movie is also, in its cynical and haunted way, indelible.
Image Credit: Alison Rosa
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!