Slide 1 of 10
10. Lawrence Wright, Going Clear
One of the problems with recruiting intelligent, creative people to your fledgling religion is that they may one day revolt and do their best to take you down. Wright is hardly the first writer to negatively detail the history of, and alleged abuses committed by, the Church of Scientology, the religion established by sci-fi author L. Ron Hubbard whose celebrity members include Tom Cruise and John Travolta. But he is the first to do so with such high-caliber ammunition, thanks to the cooperation of Crash director and former Scientologist Paul Haggis. The result is an engrossing read for anyone interested in the church — and an absolutely essential one for anyone thinking of joining it. —Clark Collis
December 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!