Slide 1 of 10
10. The Returned
The zombies on this moody, atmospheric, impossibly chic French drama (now airing on Sundance) aren’t really zombies per se. They don’t nibble on femurs or drag a backward-turned foot down the street. So when a school-bus accident kills children in a small Alpine village — and one of those children comes back to life — the story is so much more unsettling than your average undead saga. The Returned speaks to our inability to let go of what’s gone, and in an era when the past and the present seem to happen simultaneously — with YouTube and Instagram channeling instant nostalgia — that feels like an especially timely theme. Clearly, this show has what all zombies want: braaaaaains.
Image Credit: Jean Claude Lother
December 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!