Slide 1 of 10
10. The Returned
The zombies on this moody, atmospheric, impossibly chic French drama (now airing on Sundance) aren’t really zombies per se. They don’t nibble on femurs or drag a backward-turned foot down the street. So when a school-bus accident kills children in a small Alpine village — and one of those children comes back to life — the story is so much more unsettling than your average undead saga. The Returned speaks to our inability to let go of what’s gone, and in an era when the past and the present seem to happen simultaneously — with YouTube and Instagram channeling instant nostalgia — that feels like an especially timely theme. Clearly, this show has what all zombies want: braaaaaains.
Image Credit: Jean Claude Lother
December 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!