Slide 1 of 10
Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure, by John Cleland (1749)
This tale of a prostitute’s rise through the social ranks might be the most banned book in history. In 1966 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that because it had some redeeming social value, it could not be deemed obscene.
April 12 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!