Slide 1 of 10
The Unprepared Person Who Is Just Naturally Awesome
Experience, wisdom, professionalism, the ability to learn a skill and utilize it effectively: NERD STUFF. The Bay protagonist is untrained, unprepared, unlikely?and completely the right man for the job. In The Rock, Nicolas Cage is a chemical weapons specialist with scarce field experience; within hours, he’s running, gunning, and car-flipping his way through San Francisco and Alcatraz. (At one point, he specifically tells his superiors that he isn’t trained for interrogation; they immediately send him in to interrogate someone.)
Most of Bay’s central characters follow a similar story arc. Ewan McGregor’s Lincoln Six-Echo has never even seen the outside world, but he’s able to drive like a superstar because ”driving like a superstar” is in his blood or something. Shia LaBeouf and Mark Wahlberg are introduced as lovable nerdy small-town guys who are uncannily capable of taking down building-sized alien death machines. Pain and Gain is the first Michael Bay film to actually play its characters’ ineptitude for laughs.
January 27 2015 — 2:11 PM EST
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!