Slide 1 of 10
The Unprepared Person Who Is Just Naturally Awesome
Experience, wisdom, professionalism, the ability to learn a skill and utilize it effectively: NERD STUFF. The Bay protagonist is untrained, unprepared, unlikely?and completely the right man for the job. In The Rock, Nicolas Cage is a chemical weapons specialist with scarce field experience; within hours, he’s running, gunning, and car-flipping his way through San Francisco and Alcatraz. (At one point, he specifically tells his superiors that he isn’t trained for interrogation; they immediately send him in to interrogate someone.) Most of Bay’s central characters follow a similar story arc. Ewan McGregor’s Lincoln Six-Echo has never even seen the outside world, but he’s able to drive like a superstar because ”driving like a superstar” is in his blood or something. Shia LaBeouf and Mark Wahlberg are introduced as lovable nerdy small-town guys who are uncannily capable of taking down building-sized alien death machines. Pain and Gain is the first Michael Bay film to actually play its characters’ ineptitude for laughs.
June 28 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop