Slide 1 of 10
Brother Power the Geek (1968)
Dreamed up by Captain America co-creator Joe Simon, Brother Power was a mannequin dressed in hippie threads who was brought to life by a lightning strike. Published by DC, the Brother Power comic was clearly an attempt to cash in on the late-’60s groovy vibe. According to Simon, DC editor Mort Weisinger was appalled by the comic, which he claimed was ”all about the drug culture: hippies, drugs, and street people.” It was canceled after just two issues, the second of which featured Brother Power being shot into space by then governor of California, Ronald Reagan.
Image Credit: DC Comics
May 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!