Slide 1 of 11
The Cocky Protagonist Who Has to Learn Not to Be So Cocky, Even as the Universe Justifies His Cockiness
Tom Cruise gets things done. Tom Cruise knows that he gets things done. Maverick in Top Gun is an ace pilot. His only problem is that he has no problems, except for his father or whatever. In order to become an even better best pilot, he needs to learn not to be so full of himself; thus chastened, he becomes the best best pilot of them all. Replace ”pilot” with ”bartender” or ”agent” or ‘spy’ and that’s Cocktail or Jerry Maguire or the first Mission: Impossible. Many of Cruise’s best movies play this cocky persona off of a foil, with the Cruise character forced to take responsibility for his family (see: Rain Man, War of the Worlds).
June 7 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!