Slide 1 of 11
The Cocky Protagonist Who Has to Learn Not to Be So Cocky, Even as the Universe Justifies His Cockiness
Tom Cruise gets things done. Tom Cruise knows that he gets things done. Maverick in Top Gun is an ace pilot. His only problem is that he has no problems, except for his father or whatever. In order to become an even better best pilot, he needs to learn not to be so full of himself; thus chastened, he becomes the best best pilot of them all. Replace ”pilot” with ”bartender” or ”agent” or ‘spy’ and that’s Cocktail or Jerry Maguire or the first Mission: Impossible. Many of Cruise’s best movies play this cocky persona off of a foil, with the Cruise character forced to take responsibility for his family (see: Rain Man, War of the Worlds).
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!