Slide 1 of 11
The Cocky Protagonist Who Has to Learn Not to Be So Cocky, Even as the Universe Justifies His Cockiness
Tom Cruise gets things done. Tom Cruise knows that he gets things done. Maverick in Top Gun is an ace pilot. His only problem is that he has no problems, except for his father or whatever. In order to become an even better best pilot, he needs to learn not to be so full of himself; thus chastened, he becomes the best best pilot of them all. Replace ”pilot” with ”bartender” or ”agent” or ‘spy’ and that’s Cocktail or Jerry Maguire or the first Mission: Impossible. Many of Cruise’s best movies play this cocky persona off of a foil, with the Cruise character forced to take responsibility for his family (see: Rain Man, War of the Worlds).
June 7 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels