Slide 1 of 12
The Duellists: The final duel
When Ridley Scott won the Best Debut Film award at Cannes for his meditative historical drama The Duellists, he was already almost 40 years old. Perhaps that’s why the film's ending feels so mature and elegiac, as the cycle of retributive violence between two Napoleonic-era Frenchmen (Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine) comes to an end with a single act of conditional mercy and a gorgeous shot of Keitel gazing out over a landscape worthy of any Barbizon painter.
Image Credit: Everett Collection
December 14 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!