Slide 1 of 12
The Duellists: The final duel
When Ridley Scott won the Best Debut Film award at Cannes for his meditative historical drama The Duellists, he was already almost 40 years old. Perhaps that’s why the film's ending feels so mature and elegiac, as the cycle of retributive violence between two Napoleonic-era Frenchmen (Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine) comes to an end with a single act of conditional mercy and a gorgeous shot of Keitel gazing out over a landscape worthy of any Barbizon painter.
Image Credit: Everett Collection
December 14 2014 — 12:00 AM EST
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday