Slide 1 of 13
Anderson’s characters tend to be lost souls who come together and form a family unit. Way back in his debut feature Hard Eight, mysterious old gambler Philip Baker Hall teaches lonely, boyish John C. Reilly how to be a gambler — and, in the process, essentially adopts him. That’s a relationship mirrored by Burt Reynolds’ porn director and Mark Wahlberg’s burgeoning star in Boogie Nights, and seen again in There Will Be Blood when Daniel Day-Lewis’s oilman Daniel Plainview adopts the orphan H.W. as his son (and business partner).
Image Credit: Francios Duhamel
September 14 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!