Slide 1 of 24
BESTThe Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Biggest Surprise: Where to begin? Like its predecessor The Dark Knight, the closing installment of this franchise twisted and turned on a dime like Batman’s high-flying Bat through Gotham. Dark in name and in tone, the film showed the fallibility (and occasional outright brokenness) of Bruce Wayne/Batman, regularly shifted the narrative ground underneath fans’ feet, and offered up a new, unexpected hero. No one has succeeded in presenting an underbellied superhero epic quite like Christopher Nolan, and Rises made for a finale as fitting as the Caped Crusader’s now-retired rubbers. —Lanford Beard
Image Credit: Ron Phillips
May 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!