Slide 1 of 15
BEST: Dallas (1978-1991 and 2012)
Dallas was such a buzz-generating TV behemoth in the late ’70s and early ’80s that it’s easy to overlook just how important — and influential — the soapy oil-baron series was for TV history. The ”Who Shot J.R.?” twist set a standard for zeitgeist-capturing thrills long before the finale-as-cliffhanger became an expectation for most TV shows. And Larry Hagman’s lovable villain J.R. predicted the whole modern vogue for anti-heroes. The new Dallas might never live up to its progenitor’s pop culture relevance, but give the remake some credit: It recaptures the original’s decadent, sexy appeal, and it’s bringing Hagman back on your television.
Image Credit: Everett Collection; Mark Seliger/TNT
September 29 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!