Slide 1 of 15
BEST: Dallas (1978-1991 and 2012)
Dallas was such a buzz-generating TV behemoth in the late ’70s and early ’80s that it’s easy to overlook just how important — and influential — the soapy oil-baron series was for TV history. The ”Who Shot J.R.?” twist set a standard for zeitgeist-capturing thrills long before the finale-as-cliffhanger became an expectation for most TV shows. And Larry Hagman’s lovable villain J.R. predicted the whole modern vogue for anti-heroes. The new Dallas might never live up to its progenitor’s pop culture relevance, but give the remake some credit: It recaptures the original’s decadent, sexy appeal, and it’s bringing Hagman back on your television.
Image Credit: Everett Collection; Mark Seliger/TNT
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!