Slide 1 of 15
Nintendo Entertainment System
Released: Oct. 18, 1985
Best Game: Super Mario Bros.
After an Atari game based on E.T. bombed and the video game industry crashed, it looked like the end of a fad. And then came along a plumber named Mario. The 8-bit NES revitalized the industry, and the word Nintendo became synonymous with videogames. Super Mario Bros. is so well developed — perfect controls, varied levels, and chock-full of secrets — it holds up even to this day. It went on to became one of the best-selling games of all time and set the standard for how to launch a console. And it wouldn’t be the last time Mario sold systems.
Image Credit: Nintendo EAD
November 25 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!