Slide 1 of 15
Nintendo Entertainment System
Released: Oct. 18, 1985Best Game: Super Mario Bros. After an Atari game based on E.T. bombed and the video game industry crashed, it looked like the end of a fad. And then came along a plumber named Mario. The 8-bit NES revitalized the industry, and the word Nintendo became synonymous with videogames. Super Mario Bros. is so well developed — perfect controls, varied levels, and chock-full of secrets — it holds up even to this day. It went on to became one of the best-selling games of all time and set the standard for how to launch a console. And it wouldn’t be the last time Mario sold systems.
Image Credit: Nintendo EAD
November 25 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...