Slide 1 of 15
Nintendo Entertainment System
Released: Oct. 18, 1985
Best Game: Super Mario Bros.
After an Atari game based on E.T. bombed and the video game industry crashed, it looked like the end of a fad. And then came along a plumber named Mario. The 8-bit NES revitalized the industry, and the word Nintendo became synonymous with videogames. Super Mario Bros. is so well developed — perfect controls, varied levels, and chock-full of secrets — it holds up even to this day. It went on to became one of the best-selling games of all time and set the standard for how to launch a console. And it wouldn’t be the last time Mario sold systems.
Image Credit: Nintendo EAD
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!