Slide 1 of 19
Director Guillermo del Toro’s alien-versus-humans action flick took visual cues from old Godzilla films and artist Francisco Goya’s ”Colossus” painting, but the look of the characters’ cyber suits came from the imagination of one man: special effects artist Shane Mahan, best known for creating Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man suit. Though the movie takes place within the Earth’s atmosphere, Mahan ? along with Pacific Rim costume designer Kate Hawley ? incorporated elements of the classic movie spacesuit into the Jaegar driving suit worn by Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, and the rest of the cast. One thing Mahan forgot to include? ”They didn’t give us a pee flap for the first two weeks, and it takes 40 minutes to put on and off. So I couldn’t pee for the first two weeks,” Hunnam told USA Today. ”I would take my suit off at lunchtime and you’re sweating a lot and really hot, so I’d take a drink of water. And if you drink a lot of water, you need to pee, and if there’s no pee flap, you can’t pee. So I said ‘Enough’s enough!’ You gotta get me a pee flap.”
Image Credit: Kerry Hayes
May 31 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!