Slide 1 of 14
EW’s Entertainers of the Year 2002
While most of 2002’s EW-approved Entertainers have remained on our radar — big shocker, Denzel Washington is still talented and Jennifer Aniston’s still swinging that hair with the best of ‘em! — none has had quite the decade of Kelly Clarkson. Who would have imagined then that this scrappy, sultry-voiced Texan would garner legitimate longevity from the prefab fame of American Idol? After weathering contractually obligatory missteps (hey, From Justin to Kelly!) and learning to emphasize the empowerment of a break-up (”Since U Been Gone”) over the angst (My December), Clarkson has come out the other end as a legitimate artist with a passionate following (and, as of June 2014, a bouncing baby girl named River Rose). We voted for the girl next door with a killer set of pipes, and that’s still what Clarkson brings to the table — that and enough platinum records, Grammys, VMAs, and other awards to fill Simon Cowell’s house.
Image Credit: Kevin Winter/Getty Images
June 18 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!