Slide 1 of 21
The Walking Dead (AMC)
The song: Ben Howard, ”Oats in the Water”
The episode: ”Internment” (405)
The hook: As they say, you never forget your first. (Though I’m pretty sure they didn’t mean zombie killing?.) With illness overtaking the survivors’ prison on Nov. 10, bringing a fresh crop of zombies, Hershel (Scott Wilson) had to accept that it was time to put down his first walker. As Hershel put a knife through the head of a man he’d been nurturing just minutes before, Howard sang, ”You’ll find loss, and you’ll fear what you found.” Though Hershel proved surprisingly bold and strong until his last breath on Dead’s fourth season, his impromptu theme song also revealed his humanity, playing again at the end of the ep as he sat down and wept — for his lost companions and for what he’d just lost.
Read Maricela Gonzalez's recap
Image Credit: AMC
December 24 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!