Slide 1 of 16
Robert Downey Jr. in the Iron Man Avengers franchises
Before Downey signed on to play Tony Stark and secured his path to becoming the world’s most bankable action star, he was — by his own admission — an unreliable actor and a box office failure. Not even 10 years ago, who would have pegged the fringe Brat Packer and Chaplin Oscar nominee to lead the charge on a series of Marvel franchises (just one film of which, The Avengers, personally earned him $50 million) that show no signs of slowing down? Nobody, we’re guessing. And yet that’s what Iron Man did for Downey, making him professionally unbeatable just like Stark’s alter ego.
July 7 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!