Slide 1 of 22
Breakout: Clerks (1994)
Harvey Weinstein’s Miramax snatched up the rights to Smith’s low-budget, black-and-white, Grand Jury Prize nominated debut at the Festival. Miramax’s continued interest in Smith allowed him the freedom to make Mallrats, his first real critical success Chasing Amy, Dogma, and, eventually, a Jay and Silent Bob project, a sequel to Clerks, and a television spinoff. —Lindsey Bahr
October 19 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!