Slide 1 of 22
Breakout: Clerks (1994)
Harvey Weinstein’s Miramax snatched up the rights to Smith’s low-budget, black-and-white, Grand Jury Prize nominated debut at the Festival. Miramax’s continued interest in Smith allowed him the freedom to make Mallrats, his first real critical success Chasing Amy, Dogma, and, eventually, a Jay and Silent Bob project, a sequel to Clerks, and a television spinoff. —Lindsey Bahr
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!