Slide 1 of 22
Breakout: Clerks (1994)
Harvey Weinstein’s Miramax snatched up the rights to Smith’s low-budget, black-and-white, Grand Jury Prize nominated debut at the Festival. Miramax’s continued interest in Smith allowed him the freedom to make Mallrats, his first real critical success Chasing Amy, Dogma, and, eventually, a Jay and Silent Bob project, a sequel to Clerks, and a television spinoff. —Lindsey Bahr
October 19 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!