Slide 1 of 22
Breakout: Clerks (1994)
Harvey Weinstein’s Miramax snatched up the rights to Smith’s low-budget, black-and-white, Grand Jury Prize nominated debut at the Festival. Miramax’s continued interest in Smith allowed him the freedom to make Mallrats, his first real critical success Chasing Amy, Dogma, and, eventually, a Jay and Silent Bob project, a sequel to Clerks, and a television spinoff. —Lindsey Bahr
October 19 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!