Slide 1 of 24
Don Draper, 'Mad Men'
Don Draper is a lot of things — starting and ending with the fact that he isn’t even Don Draper, but a complicated fellow called Dick Whitman. He is manipulative and selfish, and although he doesn’t completely dislike his kids, he sometimes appears to forget he has them. Way back in season 1, he ditched Sally’s (Kiernan Shipka) birthday party (and never picked up her cake) in order to sort out some internal demons. He repeatedly cheats on his children’s mother, with several plans to leave his family behind and jet off to Paris with various women — one of whom was Sally’s teacher. In fact the only reason he doesn’t leave with the teacher and desert his family outright is because he finds out that his wife is pregnant. Don later tells his therapist/girlfriend that baby Gene (Evan and Ryder Londo) was ”conceived in a moment of desperation and born into a mess.” In season 4, Don hires his secretary to act as a babysitter for his three kids in Disneyland…and then marries her. In season 6, Don left the kids home alone and came back to find them in the company of a friendly burglar, then he was caught by Sally with his pants around his ankles ”comforting” the downstairs neighbor. Don Draper/Dick Whitman, who had a pretty traumatizing childhood, is well on his way to creating long-lasting daddy issues in his own offspring. —Amanda Taylor
Image Credit: Michael Yarish/AMC
June 14 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!