Slide 1 of 25
Hawke flirted with acting at age 14, when he scored a top-billed role in 1985’s Explorers alongside River Phoenix. The film was a box office disappointment, prompting the then-15-year-old to take a hiatus from showbiz. He came back with a bang five years later, breaking out in Dead Poets Society — a film he still credits as one of his favorites and most formative. More than 20 years later, he’s shown his versatility by moving past a phase as the face of Gen X (thanks to 1994’s Reality Bites), creating a beloved indie franchise for himself starting with 1995’s Before Sunrise, scoring two Oscar nominations (Best Supporting Actor in 2002 for Training Day and Best Adapted Screenplay in 2005 for Before Sunset), and carving out an unexpected niche for himself as the headliner in low-budget, high-impact horror movies Sinister and The Purge. —Lanford Beard
Image Credit: Everett Collection; John Lamparski/WireImage
September 27 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!