Slide 1 of 10
Pretty much every element of Avatar’s visual production was top-of-the-line, but its groundbreaking use of 3-D is really what transformed it from an expensive Pocahontas knock-off into a record-shattering triumph. For proof, look no further than the scene when Jake learns how to…um…train his dragon. It still makes us queasy, in a totally awesome, free-fall-on-a-rollercoaster way. —Josh Stillman
Image Credit: WETA
July 8 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...