Slide 1 of 25
KATE WINSLET Beautiful without being untouchably glamorous, warm without being cutesy, Kate Winslet is the kind of actress that women would actually want to befriend. Because she’s so real and accessible in her performances, it’s easy to empathize with her characters, even when they’re having ill-advised affairs (Little Children, her Oscar-winning turn in The Reader) or acting like basket cases (Heavenly Creatures, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) or, you know, at the center of a terrible chick flick (The Holiday). Also: Winslet is, hands down, the best crier on the big screen. Just seeing her face start to screw up sends me running for a tissue. —Dawnie Walton
Image Credit: Jeff Vespa/WireImage
April 6 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...