Slide 1 of 25
Beautiful without being untouchably glamorous, warm without being cutesy, Kate Winslet is the kind of actress that women would actually want to befriend. Because she’s so real and accessible in her performances, it’s easy to empathize with her characters, even when they’re having ill-advised affairs (Little Children, her Oscar-winning turn in The Reader) or acting like basket cases (Heavenly Creatures, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) or, you know, at the center of a terrible chick flick (The Holiday). Also: Winslet is, hands down, the best crier on the big screen. Just seeing her face start to screw up sends me running for a tissue. —Dawnie Walton
Image Credit: Jeff Vespa/WireImage
April 6 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!