Slide 1 of 25
Beautiful without being untouchably glamorous, warm without being cutesy, Kate Winslet is the kind of actress that women would actually want to befriend. Because she’s so real and accessible in her performances, it’s easy to empathize with her characters, even when they’re having ill-advised affairs (Little Children, her Oscar-winning turn in The Reader) or acting like basket cases (Heavenly Creatures, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) or, you know, at the center of a terrible chick flick (The Holiday). Also: Winslet is, hands down, the best crier on the big screen. Just seeing her face start to screw up sends me running for a tissue. —Dawnie Walton
Image Credit: Jeff Vespa/WireImage
April 6 2009 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!