Slide 1 of 9
What’s the point of falling in love if you aren’t separated from your lover by a wide variety of societal and familial complications? Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet was a literal reinterpretation of the most famous pair of star-crossed lovers, but he’s been telling variations on the Shakespearean tale in all his films. Strictly Ballroom is about a ballroom-dance scion and an amateur dancer from a gypsy family. Moulin Rouge! sees Ewan McGregor’s naïve young writer falling for Nicole Kidman’s cynical, tuberculotic courtesan. Australia pairs Kidman’s upper-crust Brit opposite Hugh Jackman’s salt-of-the-Outback cowboy. And The Great Gatsby is about another famous pair of troubled lovers.
May 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!