Slide 1 of 9
What’s the point of falling in love if you aren’t separated from your lover by a wide variety of societal and familial complications? Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet was a literal reinterpretation of the most famous pair of star-crossed lovers, but he’s been telling variations on the Shakespearean tale in all his films. Strictly Ballroom is about a ballroom-dance scion and an amateur dancer from a gypsy family. Moulin Rouge! sees Ewan McGregor’s naïve young writer falling for Nicole Kidman’s cynical, tuberculotic courtesan. Australia pairs Kidman’s upper-crust Brit opposite Hugh Jackman’s salt-of-the-Outback cowboy. And The Great Gatsby is about another famous pair of troubled lovers.
May 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...