Slide 1 of 9
What’s the point of falling in love if you aren’t separated from your lover by a wide variety of societal and familial complications? Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet was a literal reinterpretation of the most famous pair of star-crossed lovers, but he’s been telling variations on the Shakespearean tale in all his films. Strictly Ballroom is about a ballroom-dance scion and an amateur dancer from a gypsy family. Moulin Rouge! sees Ewan McGregor’s naïve young writer falling for Nicole Kidman’s cynical, tuberculotic courtesan. Australia pairs Kidman’s upper-crust Brit opposite Hugh Jackman’s salt-of-the-Outback cowboy. And The Great Gatsby is about another famous pair of troubled lovers.
May 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!