Slide 1 of 9
What’s the point of falling in love if you aren’t separated from your lover by a wide variety of societal and familial complications? Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet was a literal reinterpretation of the most famous pair of star-crossed lovers, but he’s been telling variations on the Shakespearean tale in all his films. Strictly Ballroom is about a ballroom-dance scion and an amateur dancer from a gypsy family. Moulin Rouge! sees Ewan McGregor’s naïve young writer falling for Nicole Kidman’s cynical, tuberculotic courtesan. Australia pairs Kidman’s upper-crust Brit opposite Hugh Jackman’s salt-of-the-Outback cowboy. And The Great Gatsby is about another famous pair of troubled lovers.
May 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!