Slide 1 of 9
What’s the point of falling in love if you aren’t separated from your lover by a wide variety of societal and familial complications? Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet was a literal reinterpretation of the most famous pair of star-crossed lovers, but he’s been telling variations on the Shakespearean tale in all his films. Strictly Ballroom is about a ballroom-dance scion and an amateur dancer from a gypsy family. Moulin Rouge! sees Ewan McGregor’s naïve young writer falling for Nicole Kidman’s cynical, tuberculotic courtesan. Australia pairs Kidman’s upper-crust Brit opposite Hugh Jackman’s salt-of-the-Outback cowboy. And The Great Gatsby is about another famous pair of troubled lovers.
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!