Slide 1 of 10
The newest trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man has a tricky mission statement. It has to remind people why they love a character who has already toplined three mega-grossing films, while also establishing that the reboot will tell a distinctive story. Thus, the trailer leads with the most obvious new addition: Unlike the Sam Raimi trilogy, which opted to make Spidey’s web-shooting an outgrowth of his radioactive spiderpowers, Amazing will reinstate the idea that Peter Parker invents the web-shooters. Unfortunately, this brings up the old real-world gripe: If Peter Parker can invent a super-strong elastic substance, why doesn’t he sell it to the military-industrial complex and make billions of dollars? (He could be a philanthropist!)
Click here to watch the new Amazing Spider-Man trailer
February 8 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!