Slide 1 of 23
Lazaro Arbos (season 12)
The Cuban-born ice cream scooper, 21, has suffered an extreme stutter since childhood — he was bullied at school, grew up with few friends, and the only way he can communicate without struggle is via melody. If only his performances were more in-tune?and if only Lazaro knew the lyrics! As English is his second language, it’s difficult for him to learn and memorize songs — recently, to the detriment of his fellow singers in a disastrous ”Sugar Pie Honey Bunch” trio. Lazaro’s story is inspiring, but at this point his staying power as a Top 8 finalist is perplexing. 3 tears —Annie Barrett
Image Credit: Michael Becker/Fox
February 9 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!