Slide 1 of 16
PLAYED BY Brad Pitt
MOVIE Moneyball (2011)
POSITION General Manager
TEAM The small-market Oakland A’s, led by failed pro Billy Beane, discard conventional baseball wisdom and invest their meager payroll in overlooked players who do the little things that build a team to compete with the sport’s biggest spenders.
STATS Stats? It’s all about stats, especially the Holy Grail for baseball number-crunchers, on-base percentage.
ACCURACY Hollywood took a ton of liberties, big and small, with the A’s underdog story, but the biggest inside-baseball complaint was that the movie gave all the credit to Beane’s reliance on new batting metrics and totally ignored the fact that his pitching staff at the time was one of the best in the game.
MEMORABLE MOMENT Scott Hatteberg (Chris Pratt), one of Beane’s finds from the ”island of misfit toys,” slugs a dramatic home run to break the record for consecutive wins.
MALE KLEENEX FACTOR 2 out of 10 hankies
Read the review
Image Credit: Melinda Sue Gordon
October 5 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Taraji P. Henson's Biggest Moments in 2015
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year