Slide 1 of 5
What Happens? Chemistry teacher Walt (Bryan Cranston) gets a cancer diagnosis and starts cooking meth with ex-student Jesse (Aaron Paul) to provide for his family after he’s gone. He encounters dangerous characters like drug dealer Krazy 8 (Maximino Arciniega) and Mexican kingpin Tuco (Raymond Cruz) while laying the groundwork for a million-dollar empire. It’s the American dream — except for the corpse in the bathtub.
Best Episode: ”…And the Bag’s in the River” (103) — Breaking Bad is a master class in Chekhov’s gun principle: If you see a gun (or a pair of box cutters) in the first act, someone will be dead by the third. Here, as Walt and Jesse dispose of two drug dealers, even a simple sandwich plate becomes a chilling tool of suspense.
Buried Treasure: The name of the store where Walt first shows us his violent side — roughing up a jock who’s making fun of Walt Jr.’s disability — mirrors his excuse for all questionable actions to follow: Family 1st Clothing.
Image Credit: AMC
September 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!