Slide 1 of 5
What Happens? Chemistry teacher Walt (Bryan Cranston) gets a cancer diagnosis and starts cooking meth with ex-student Jesse (Aaron Paul) to provide for his family after he’s gone. He encounters dangerous characters like drug dealer Krazy 8 (Maximino Arciniega) and Mexican kingpin Tuco (Raymond Cruz) while laying the groundwork for a million-dollar empire. It’s the American dream — except for the corpse in the bathtub.
Best Episode: ”…And the Bag’s in the River” (103) — Breaking Bad is a master class in Chekhov’s gun principle: If you see a gun (or a pair of box cutters) in the first act, someone will be dead by the third. Here, as Walt and Jesse dispose of two drug dealers, even a simple sandwich plate becomes a chilling tool of suspense.
Buried Treasure: The name of the store where Walt first shows us his violent side — roughing up a jock who’s making fun of Walt Jr.’s disability — mirrors his excuse for all questionable actions to follow: Family 1st Clothing.
Image Credit: AMC
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!