Slide 1 of 10
THE EVIL DEAD (1981), picked by Joss Whedon and Kristen Connolly Director Sam Raimi’s demented ghoulfest is an obvious influence on The Cabin in the Woods — and a favorite of Cabin co-writer Whedon. ”That’s such a classic of: ‘We want to frighten you and then we’re just going to lose… our… minds,’ ” says the Buffy creator. ”It’s a film that actually, on its own terms, goes insane. I’m a fan of Polanski’s Repulsion and The Tenant, which are also quite insane. But Raimi’s insanity is more like a party.” Raimi’s party also finds favor with Cabin in the Woods star Connolly. ”We watched the Evil Dead movies in preproduction,” says the actress, who plays one of Cabin’s five hero-victims, the virginal Dana. ”I had no idea how nuts they were. The evil raping tree! I felt like I was on drugs watching it. I was like, What the s— is going on here?”
Image Credit: Everett Collection
April 15 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels