Slide 1 of 10
THE EVIL DEAD (1981), picked by Joss Whedon and Kristen Connolly
Director Sam Raimi’s demented ghoulfest is an obvious influence on The Cabin in the Woods — and a favorite of Cabin co-writer Whedon. ”That’s such a classic of: ‘We want to frighten you and then we’re just going to lose… our… minds,’ ” says the Buffy creator. ”It’s a film that actually, on its own terms, goes insane. I’m a fan of Polanski’s Repulsion and The Tenant, which are also quite insane. But Raimi’s insanity is more like a party.” Raimi’s party also finds favor with Cabin in the Woods star Connolly. ”We watched the Evil Dead movies in preproduction,” says the actress, who plays one of Cabin’s five hero-victims, the virginal Dana. ”I had no idea how nuts they were. The evil raping tree! I felt like I was on drugs watching it. I was like, What the s— is going on here?”
Image Credit: Everett Collection
April 15 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!