Slide 1 of 8
Tasked with creating the Nuckelavee, the newest creature to go up against Nick Burkhardt on Grimm, special makeup effects designer Barney Burman knew he was in for a challenge. ”I got nervous because I thought, ‘How are we going to make a horse-like, man creature and make it scary and not silly or ridiculous?”’ says Burman, who got some help from this concept art by Constantine Sekeris and Jerad Marantz. Next, Burman, who won an Academy Award in 2010 for his work on Star Trek, then studied real horses in an effort to ”find the details in there that I don?t normally think about — the texture of the nose, the shape of the mouth, the coloration of the hooves.”
Image Credit: Scott Green/NBC
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller Kate & Kate and More!