Slide 1 of 8
Tasked with creating the Nuckelavee, the newest creature to go up against Nick Burkhardt on Grimm, special makeup effects designer Barney Burman knew he was in for a challenge. ”I got nervous because I thought, ‘How are we going to make a horse-like, man creature and make it scary and not silly or ridiculous?”’ says Burman, who got some help from this concept art by Constantine Sekeris and Jerad Marantz. Next, Burman, who won an Academy Award in 2010 for his work on Star Trek, then studied real horses in an effort to ”find the details in there that I don?t normally think about — the texture of the nose, the shape of the mouth, the coloration of the hooves.”
Image Credit: Scott Green/NBC
October 3 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!