Slide 1 of 30
BESTSaludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros (1943/45)
Commissioned by the State Department to promote the Good Neighbor Policy — a wartime initiative to strengthen ties between the U.S. and Latin America — Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros are spirited episodic travelogues through Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, and Chile. But they’re also two of the more experimental entries to the Disney canon, boldly mixing animation with live-action photography, like when Donald Duck shimmies with flesh-and-blood samba dancer Aurora Miranda (sister of Carmen), and even for the first time showing a behind-the-scenes look at Disney’s own animation process. This diptych fiesta still pulses with life. ¡Olé!
Image Credit: Everett Collection
August 8 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!