Slide 1 of 10
Airing the Emmys the year of the actors strike.
In 1980, the actors strike was in effect when it came time to broadcast the awards ceremony. Although the Emmy show itself was not part of the labor dispute, a display of solidarity was called for among actors. Thus, non-actors Steve Allen and Dick Clark replaced previously announced (actor) hosts Bob Newhart, Michael Landon, and Lee Remick. Of the 52 acting nominees, the only one to attend and accept his Emmy was Powers Boothe, who won for Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones and was applauded by a partially empty auditorium. Wouldn’t it have been better just to shut down the show for a year?
Image Credit: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!