Slide 1 of 10
Airing the Emmys the year of the actors strike.
In 1980, the actors strike was in effect when it came time to broadcast the awards ceremony. Although the Emmy show itself was not part of the labor dispute, a display of solidarity was called for among actors. Thus, non-actors Steve Allen and Dick Clark replaced previously announced (actor) hosts Bob Newhart, Michael Landon, and Lee Remick. Of the 52 acting nominees, the only one to attend and accept his Emmy was Powers Boothe, who won for Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones and was applauded by a partially empty auditorium. Wouldn’t it have been better just to shut down the show for a year?
Image Credit: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
August 23 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!