Slide 1 of 10
Airing the Emmys the year of the actors strike.
In 1980, the actors strike was in effect when it came time to broadcast the awards ceremony. Although the Emmy show itself was not part of the labor dispute, a display of solidarity was called for among actors. Thus, non-actors Steve Allen and Dick Clark replaced previously announced (actor) hosts Bob Newhart, Michael Landon, and Lee Remick. Of the 52 acting nominees, the only one to attend and accept his Emmy was Powers Boothe, who won for Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones and was applauded by a partially empty auditorium. Wouldn’t it have been better just to shut down the show for a year?
Image Credit: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
August 23 2014 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall