Slide 1 of 10
Airing the Emmys the year of the actors strike.
In 1980, the actors strike was in effect when it came time to broadcast the awards ceremony. Although the Emmy show itself was not part of the labor dispute, a display of solidarity was called for among actors. Thus, non-actors Steve Allen and Dick Clark replaced previously announced (actor) hosts Bob Newhart, Michael Landon, and Lee Remick. Of the 52 acting nominees, the only one to attend and accept his Emmy was Powers Boothe, who won for Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones and was applauded by a partially empty auditorium. Wouldn’t it have been better just to shut down the show for a year?
Image Credit: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!