Slide 1 of 19
TOSS-UP: Neil Patrick Harris’s Opener
As an awards-show host, Neil Patrick Harris is known for starting the night with mindblowing, crowd-pleasing musical numbers. He opted out of that tradition this year, instead relying on a pre-taped cold open where he solicited ”advice” from this year’s TV clips and was ”interrupted” by Emmys hosts from years past (starting with last year’s disappointing Jimmy Kimmel). All in all, this year’s monologue felt over-long and under-funny. (For example, did we really need a Les Moonves cameo appreciated by only the insider-iest of insiders?) Of course, there were a few stand-out moments, including Kevin Spacey’s hilarious House of Cards-style monologue to the camera and Amy Poehler and Tina Fey’s popcorn-chomping, 3-D-glasses-wearing bit where they told NPH, ”[Twerking] might be degrading, but we would be degrateful.” And speaking of…
Image Credit: CBS
January 27 2015 — 4:05 PM EST
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!